Book Thief Review

Happy Monday! (not) Finally here's my review for The Book Thief. The first and third paragaph of the review (the italicized part is the back summary) aren't spoiler-y, but the second paragraph is full of spoilers.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Narrated by Death, Markus Zusak's groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a young foster girl living outside of Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she discovers something she can't resist -- books. Soon she is stealing from Nazi book-burnings, the mayor's wife's library, wherever they are to be found.

With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, Liesel learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement.

I've heard a lot about The Book Thief. It's been on my TBR list for a long time, but when i was in the library the other day I decided 'what the heck? I'll pick it up.' It's now one of my favorite books. It's an amazing book, filled with beautiful prose. The story takes place in Nazi Germany and I feel like I've lived there with Liesel, Rudy, Max, Hans, and the others. I don't think I've ever thought that while reading a book before. At first I wasn't sure about the idea of having Death as the narrator, but it worked so well!

I wish Death hadn't spoiled part of the ending about halfway through though. It made me painfully aware of what was to come and I constantly wanted Liesel to say yes whenever Rudy wanted to kiss her. The last fifty pages of the book I cried until my throat went raw and I couldn't see to read. I'm not sure if I've cried that much reading a book since Deathly Hallows, and maybe not even then.

Book Thief was one of those books that I couldn't read all in one night. I took a short break every few chapters just to let everything sink in. It was such a gorgeous book and maybe someday I'll read it again. I think it's one of those books that's going to haunt me for awhile. One of those books that I'll remember forever.

Overall: 9.9/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before