Why I Love NCIS's Characters

Over the last couple months, I've been on an NCIS-watching marathon. I've made it all the way to the end of season three so far. It's one of my all-time favorite shows. One of the reasons for that is its amazing characters. I love all of them and asking me which one is my favorite is like asking me to pick my favorite best friend.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs
No discussion of NCIS characters would be complete without Gibbs. Say whatever you want about him, he's probably one of the greatest characters written today. The backstory behind his character and everything he does is incredible. As I'm watching the show, I keep learning more and more about him. Every time an episode mentions his wife and child, or I see him dealing with a case that includes a child, I burst into tears. I can't help it. You might call him a chauvinist, but is he really? When a naval officer protested when he requested to bring Kate on board a submarine, didn't Gibbs fight until Kate was allowed on board? Gibbs would do anything for his team.

Anthony Dinozzo
I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of Tony at first. He's the real chauvinist of the show, always going after women and bragging about his conquests. He's always goofing around and causing trouble and lording his seniority over the other agents. But at the same time, he's an incredible agent and I know why Gibbs keeps him around. 

Abby Sciuto
If you ask me who my favorite character is, it will end up being a toss-up between Gibbs and Abby. Abby is the forensic scientist of NCIS and she's completely brilliant. She's always hyped up on caffeine, listening to loud rock music, and being a normal goth. She's the sweetest member of the team and she really cares about everyone. Her father-daughter relationship with Gibbs gets me every time.

Ziva David 
Ziva can be quick to jump for the trigger (she was an assassin before joining NCIS as a liason), but she's a great agent. She's the only one who can match Tony. Her inability to grasp American sayings and slang is great comic relief for the show and she does get a lot better at it as the show goes on. She has a complicated story behind her and the way she came to join NCIS that makes her character that much more fascinating.

Doctor Mallard
Ducky is the medical examiner for NCIS. He always has some kind of story that goes with everything and he can monologue for long periods of time, whether or not the story has any kind of relevance to the case or not. The only one who can ever seem to keep him completely on track is Gibbs. He's known Gibbs for a very long time.

Jimmy Palmer 
Jimmy is, as Tony puts it, the "autopsy gremlin" or Ducky's assistant. He makes his mistakes and gets nervous about doing things on his own, but he learns very quickly and will be a fantastic ME someday. I haven't seen a lot of him to where I am in the series, but he's such a sweetheart and he tries his absolute hardest to do his job right.

The main point of this is that every NCIS character, down to the smallest, feels like a real person. They all interact like real people. They have their friendships and their fights and their disagreements. But, at the end of the day, they're all a team. They make mistakes and they break Gibbs' rules and they learn from them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You're absolutely right!Love the whole cast and the chemistry between them

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before