Cinder Review

Cinder
by Marissa Meyer
Lunar Chronicles #1
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

I know, I know. Very late to the party on this one. With this book, though, it's definitely better late than never. This book caught me and refused to let go. About halfway in, I told myself that I could read a few chapters before I got back to work. Ended up finishing the rest of the book in one sitting. 

Wonderful characters and excellent dialogue. I really love Cinder and her relationships with Iko and Peony. Also Prince Kai. I didn't expect to like the switches in perspective, but they actually provided a well-done picture of events and I found myself looking forward to one in particular besides Cinder.
 
The world-building was excellent and I love that this book was set somewhere other than America. It's extremely refreshing. The play on Cinderella was also well done, but helped to lend a certain predictability. Speaking of which (without spoiling anything), I guessed the big twist about 50 pages in. I was still intrigued waiting for the characters to figure things out, but it was also kind of disappointing. 

Comments

Ash said…
I hadn't planned on finishing this book in one sitting either. It just kind of does that to you! I also really enjoyed the dialogue, and Iko was a real favorite of mine. Great review! [:

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before