RTW -- By Any Other Name...

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

Next week's topic: 
How do you decide on names? Would you ever name a character after a friend/family member/ex?

I have a friend with a really cool name who I've already told I'm going to steal it at some point. As for family members, maybe but only because I have family members with really common names. As for exes...never. I have trouble separating people from their names so when I name a character after someone I know in real life, I have to work to separate their appearance and personality from that character.

As for how I decide on names...that's a complicated question. A lot of my characters come with their own names. If they don't, then generally I just hop on my favorite baby names site and go down the lists of names until one of them strikes my fancy.

I also have a list of cool names that I want to use someday. The names on the list have come from just about everywhere. I like days when the teacher calls roll because it means I get to hear everyone's name and sometimes I jot down a few for the list. 

Here are a few of my MCs and where their names come from. 

Kaye -- Baby name site 
Skylar -- Came with his 
Helena -- Name from an old WIP 
Troy -- Mom suggested this one 
Wren -- I could say she came with hers, but I've just really loved this name ever since I saw Footloose 
Jesse -- Came with his 

Comments

theNAMEgirl said…
Are Helena and Troy in the same story? If they are a couple it seems like there would be a lot of jokes about their names.
Erin L. Funk said…
Those baby name sites are so handy. I spend hours on them searching for names. I bet half the people who use them are naming characters and not their kids. :)
Unknown said…
Most of your names are very unique. I haven't seen them in a lot of books.

Here's my RTW
My RTW
Anonymous said…
I love baby name sites, probably because I love to know name meanings. I spend time on those sites that has nothing to do with writing or naming children. :)
Nickie said…
I like how some of your characters come with their names. It's nice when they pop in your head like a package deal! That rarely happens for me, but sometimes other interesting backstory will just come with the character, instead of slowly developing with the story.

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before