Misuse of Apostrophes

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I'm going to say it anyway. We need to talk about the correct use of apostrophes.

Recently I've picked up on a lot of misuse of apostrophes. I have a Game of Thrones poster that I've found no less than three mistakes in so far and I also went to a craft show over the weekend where I picked out two things that misused apostrophes.

So, here we go.

Apostrophes have two uses:

1. To indicate possession 
Amy's husband's name is Rory. [There are two apostrophes in this one. The first indicates that the husband is Amy's. The second one indicates that the name "Rory" is the husband's.]

I need to borrow six doctors' white lab coats. [In this case, "doctor" is plural so the apostrophe goes after the "s."]

2. Contractions
Let's = Let us
Can't = Can not
Won't = Will not

Next up, some situations in which apostrophes are NOT appropriate, but somehow get used anyway.

1. Sports teams 
Correct: Lions, Wolverines, Bears, Red Wings, Flyers, Pistons (Can you tell I'm a Detroit girl?)
Incorrect: Lion's, Wolverine's, Bear's, Red Wing's, Flyer's, Piston's

2. To make things plural 
Incorrect: There are twelve car's in the lot.
Correct: There are twelve cars in the lot.

There is one exception in these that should probably be mentioned and that is "it."

It's = It is (Ex: It's a beautiful day.)
Its = the possessive form of it (Ex: "My priority has always been and will always be the welfare of this school and, of course, its students.")

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before