Favorite Books of the Year

I managed to read 48 books this year, which was just shy of my goal of 50 books. Though the quantity was low, the quality was not. It took me forever to decide which books were my favorites. Which is why I'm going to cheat and do five books across three categories...

Top Three First Read (in no particular order)

Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin
I'm late to the Game of Thrones party, but I'm already a huge fan of the series. The first book has me hooked and I'm on the second right now. Already can't wait to get my hands on the third. This is a long book, but it didn't feel that way when I was reading. Martin made me feel like I knew the characters my whole life after just a few pages. It's a masterpiece.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
If you put my feet in the fire, I would say this is the best book I read this year. It was beautiful and it made me sob harder than anything ever has before. I can't wait to read it again soon.

Every Day by David Levithan
This is another gorgeous book. I loved the originality of the concept and the characters. I loved the different glimpses into people's lives and how we all have our problems and secrets. I loved the romance and the bittersweet ending. 

Favorite Classic

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
This was my first Christie book ever and I have to say it did not disappoint. She had an unusual style that takes some getting used to, but is fascinating. I knew about the twist ending ahead of time and I still couldn't believe it. 

Best Reread

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This is the second time I've read this book and it was even better this time, if that's possible. This a book that I highly recommend to everyone that I meet. It's beautiful and heart-wrenching. I knew everything that would happen and I still curled up into a ball and sobbed.

What was your favorite book that you read this year?

Comments

Ash said…
I'm with you on A Game of Thrones! I just read the first one a few weeks ago and loved it. I can't believe it has taken me so long to start the series!

I'm a little over halfway through A Clash of Kings now. :]

Who are your favorite characters?

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before