RTW: Best Book of June

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic. 

This Week's Topic: 
What was the best book you read in June? 

I read a lot of books this month, especially for me, so I'm going to cheat and do my top three. I love them all for different reasons so it's tough to decide.

The first one is Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. It was the first time I've read one of her books and I loved it. I don't know why it took me so long to start reading them. She's a fantastic writer and I adored the ending. Every time I think about it I can't help smiling.

 Second one is Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann. I had nightmares about this book and it still makes me shiver just thinking about it. It's not something that I would normally read, but I'm glad that I did. The writing is fantastic and the characters just as much so.

Finally, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak which I read for the second time. I cried just as hard -- if not harder -- this time around. The writing is gorgeous and the characters all fully fleshed out. One of my favorite quotes comes from this book: "I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." If you haven't read it yet, I highly, highly recommend it. This is one of those books that I think everyone should read at least once in their lives.

Comments

Rachel said…
I am stopping by through Road Trip Wednesday. Murder on the Orient Express is the only Agatha I've read and I LOVED it. Thanks for reminding me that I want to read more of her work - so well written and thought out. I also couldn't choose just 1 book for RTW and chose 3! Maybe Rachaels/Rachels think alike? ;-)
Jaime Morrow said…
I have copies of CRYER'S CROSS and THE BOOK THIEF, and I think it's high time I got to them. Glad you enjoyed them so much! :)
Anonymous said…
I really need to read some Agatha Cristie. I was never interested when I was younger but as I get older I actually want to read one.
Samantha said…
I love Lisa McMann's books!
Elodie said…
I really like Agatha C. when I was a teenager. I remember reading a lot of them back then. It´s been awhile!
And I LOVED The Book Thief such a wonderful book.
Colin Smith said…
This is embarrassing, because I love mystery/crime stories... but I've never read any Agatha Christie!! I've seen movies based on her stories, and episodes of Poirot and Miss Marple on TV--but it's not the same. I need to rectify that soon. Thanks for the reminder, Rachael. :)
Kelly Fiore said…
So, funny enough, Murder on the Orient Express is a book in my high school's book room that no one teaches. I think I'll read it so that maybe I can get my 11th graders to read it this fall. I love the idea of having more teaching options!
Have you listened to Book Thief on audio! I'd read the book, but on a long road trip I insisted on bringing the audio. We had to pull over because my husband and I both had tears running down our faces.
Stephanie Allen said…
I'm, like, 25th in line to get The Book Thief from the public library, no joke. At this point, I'm probably just going to end up buying it so I can read it already.

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before