Cryer's Cross Review

Cryer's Cross
by Lisa McMann
Kendall loves her life in small town Cryer's Cross, Montana, but she also longs for something more. She knows the chances of going to school in New York are small, but she's not the type to give up easily. Even though it will mean leaving Nico, the world's sweetest boyfriend, behind. 
But when Cryer's Cross is rocked by an unspeakable tragedy, Kendall shoves her dreams aside and focuses on just one goal: Help find her missing friends. Even if it means spending time with the one boy she shouldn't get close to...the one who makes her question everything she feels for Nico. 
Determined to help and to stay true to the boy she's always loved, Kendall keeps up the search -- and stumbles upon some frightening local history. She knows she can't stop digging, but Kendall is about to find out just how far the townspeople will go to keep their secrets buried.... 
This book isn't something that I would normally read, but I absolutely adored the Wake trilogy so I figured, why not? I'm glad I did because this book is amazing. I read the first half huddled up in bed right before going to sleep. I knew it would be a mistake but I couldn't stop. I ended up having nightmares that night. I don't think I've had nightmares about any other book before. When I woke up in the morning, I huddled up under the covers and finished the rest. 

The writing was beautiful and fast-moving. It grabbed on to me and wouldn't let me go. The characters were beautifully rounded and I felt like I knew them from the start. I especially loved Jacian and his family. Also the portrayal of Kendall's OCD, her dreams of attending Julliard, and her love of soccer. It was great that the characters played sports and wanted to perform in plays without that being a main focus of the story.

Overall: 10/10 I loved every minute of it. I was pretty sure when I finished that I would never sleep again.

Comments

Sarah said…
I liked it, too! Not quite as much as I loved the Wake trilogy, but I love Lisa's spare third-person style.

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before