Too Much Theme?

THREE DAYS!

I watched all of season two of Glee last weekend. I didn't like the first three episodes nearly as much as season one, but I couldn't really put my finger on why until I mentioned it on Twitter.

amandaplavich: "It's been disappointing this year. Too much focus on the themes and not enough on the storylines."

And that's exactly it. In TV shows, movies, and even books there is always a theme. You as the writer might not even realize it's there until someone points it out to you. The theme should be subtle. It shouldn't leap out of the pages and slap the reader across the face. It's extremely important that the reader doesn't feel you have an agenda, even if you do.

The best way to do that is to not write for an agenda. Tell the story right and the lessons and themes should come through on their own.

Comments

This is precisely why I do not watch Glee. :P

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before