Being a Beta Reader

Well my day started off rather horrible and then turned to a pretty dang good day.

Good:
  1. I got an email from my sister-in-law. She got things covered at work and so she and my baby neice are coming up this weekend! :D I only get to see them a few times a year, so I'm very excited.
  2. I caught up on the weekend stakes races. Added Flashing, Gio Ponti, and Zensational to my watch list. Zenyatta went 12 for 12 with her thrilling win in the Clement Hirsch. Sad to hear that one of my favorite geldings, Commentator, is retiring now after his third in the Whitney. He was a great horse and will be missed. I just hope that he has the quiet retirement that every racehorse deserves.
  3. I finally got it arranged so that I can use text to speech with Word 2007. So when I stop sulking, I'm going to listen to it read my chapters and do some editing.
Bad:
  1. Writing is not going very well. I'm in a writing depression over Destiny and her query. More on that Wednesday of course.
  2. Reading 1984. Do all classics have unhappy endings? Seriously, Animal Farm, Romeo and Juliet, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Scarlet Letter, the Great Gatsby, Grapes of Wrath is kinda sad... Oh, wait, Odyssey has a happy ending doesn't it? Well except for all the people that die... Okay that's one out of eight of the ones that I can remember.
Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Let's talk about being a beta reader since for the last five weeks we've been talking about getting one.

Being a beta reader is fun. You get to read novels (or short stories or whatever you like) for free, help someone improve their work, and maybe improve your own in the process. It also teaches you how to be critical and identify mistakes that could pass over into self-editing your own work. So how do you become one?

Well, the first step is to find writers that need beta readers. You could start with joining a critique group or writing forum. AW has a section for beta readers and writers looking for beta readers to advertise. If you have writer friends, they could need a beta reader. Critique groups are another good place to look. Just like a writer, make sure they fit your needs. There are some websites that I've discovered in the last week that take manuscripts and let their collection of beta readers read them over. Critique Circle and critters.org are two of these. Critters only takes fantasy, sci-fi, and horror though I believe, so if you read or write contemporary then you should avoid sites that don't accept it.

My beta reading got started when I participated in AW's annual beta reader event. I thought it would be fun to enter a piece of Destiny's early draft and in return, critiqued three first chapters. Looking back I don't think it went well, but I was hooked. The more I read and sent, the more I learned.

Once you've found someone that is looking for a beta, make sure you fit the bill. If they're hoping to get it back within a week and you're busy, then you might not be able to make the deadline. If they're writing horror and you want to beta sci-fi, then your probably not going to enjoy their story as much as someone else. You don't want to have to force yourself to read it, so if it's not something you'd be interesting in, say so.

If the writer asks you to go easy on their manuscript, then try to be a little softer with your criticism. The best beta readers are strict, but tactful with their criticism. Whatever you do, Don't. Lie. Say everything that you like, don't like, and give suggestions on how to fix it. Write down everything that you think as you write on a separate word doc. You can always go back and edit through as you read and things change.

Most of all: BE HONEST.

If you've promised your critique by a certain date and you aren't going to make it, let the writer know! I perfectly understand how life can get in the way of your lower priorities like beta reading, but I hate when I go for weeks and even months without a single notice. I have two projects that are out with two different beta readers. One I sent out months ago and never received a reply or even a note that they'd received it. (Don't think they stole it. This particular manuscript sucked so bad that I wouldn't even care if they tried.) The other is with a beta that disappeared for a long time, returned and told me they would have it to me, and then disappeared again. I have another beta that disappeared for two weeks to the point where I was worried that something happened to her. (You know who you are. If you're reading this, come in and say hi!) Even if you don't have a set deadline, try to send updates every once in awhile. If you're struggling to get a critique back in a reasonable amount of time -- even with a self-imposed deadline (I'm going to finish this critique by such-and-such date), I find that emailing the author and letting them know what day I hope to have it back helps. It's a lot more concrete when you know that someone's waiting for it. Of course, it doesn't work as well if the author doesn't answer because then you don't know if they're waiting for it or not.
class="MsoNormal">

So go out and find a manuscript and enjoy! Sometimes you'll find the truly awesome manuscript that makes you feel like a horrible beta because you can't find anything wrong. And those and helping people improve their writing is what makes it all worthwhile.

Oh, and one last note. As a beta reader, try not to overbook yourself. I personally have one project that I'm working on, one more on the shelf, one that I'm waiting for the rest on, and one that I've called dibs on (we do that a lot at AW) that the writer is almost done with. I'm probably going to have to cut back even more when I go back to school unfortunately. So even if someone approaches you with a really awesome manuscript and it kills you to say no, sometimes you just have to do it. Just politely say that you're busy and hope that you get another chance.

Comments

Katie said…
Hahahaha! No, not all classics have sad endings. Try a Jane Austen book or Charlotte Bronte, Some of the lighter Shakespeares, Nathaniel Hawthorne's other famous novel THE HOUSE OF SEVEN GABLES, or a comedic play like one by Oscar Wilde. But don't go into John Steinbeck; talk about a downer! LOL

Popular posts from this blog

What's Up Wednesday: January 15

What's Up Wednesday: August 20

New Releases: Every Day, If I Lie, Dangerous Boy