Week in Short

Okay, in theory, I probably should've done this yesterday before started my contest so that it would be on top all weekend. But for some reason, that particular option didn't cross my mind. So I'm doing this now... I'm still taking entries for the contest and loving the ones I've gotten so far. It's going to be a tough decision.

And let's take a look back on what happened this week.

Must Read: Once again I had a bout of indecision and there are three MR's this week. First up Nathan gives us all a look at the query that caught his attention. It's an awesome query, so make sure you check that out. Next up is, ahem, my post at TWFT this week: an interview with ICM agent, Tina Wexler. I apologize for using my own post for an MR... And finally, Jessica Faust had a brilliant post on novel word count this week. I found it very interesting that a good target count is 80,000 words rather than 50,000 like I'd thought, even if you're writing YA. Which means me and everyone else that struggles to top 50k is in trouble where some agents are concerned...

Querytracker:
First up is a wonderful interview with Sara Zarr, a young adult author. There's some great advice and encouragement there.

Rachelle Gardner:

Ms. Gardner had a wonderful five part series on the publication process when the hard work of writing, editing, and querying is over. Part one covering the submission to publishers phase, part two covering the publishing contract, three is the writing and editing stage, then pre-production, and finally the final phase: title, cover, and marketing plan.

Jessica Faust at BookEnds:
First up is how good is never good enough in the publishing world. Their take on negative query openers, which is something I'll never be able to understand (not the post, just the whole concept). Here's a great post on asking your agent or editor questions. And finally Jessica has her own post on query auto-rejections.

Blood Red Pencil:
Here are some tips for mystery/crime novel writers. Even if you don't fall under that category, check out the post anyway. Especially if you watch shows like CSI.

Writer Unboxed:
Here's a great post on writing for children for anyone who has ever written a children's book or is considering it.

Agent Kristin:
We've had lots of posts on why agents pass on queries, but here's a post on why Kristin passed on sample pages.

Guide to Literary Agents:
If you've ever wondered if it's required to meet an agent in person like I have, check out this post. It's not very logical in this economy, but I've still been curious. Here's an agent interview with Sheree Bykofsky who mostly represents non-fiction.

Romantic Reads:
I don't follow this blog yet, (I promised myself no more) but I wanted to share this great post on what to expect if you get the call from an editor. I assume that's if you don't have an agent, but I'm not sure...

Pimp My Novel:
There are lots of posts on what sells, but this week we have one on what doesn't sell well. That includes cookbooks for children and short story collections.

Miss Snark's First Victim:
Is having her first query contest, judged by none other than Jodi Meadows. Submissions begin Monday and it should be pretty cool, even if you don't enter.

The Rejector:
This week the rejector answers some editing questions.

I'll try to put them in alphabetical order next time, even though I hate doing that...Anyway, everyone have a great rest of the weekend!

Comments

Lea McKee said…
Great info here, thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

What's Up Wednesday: January 15

What's Up Wednesday: August 20

New Releases: Every Day, If I Lie, Dangerous Boy