Dark Life Review

Dark Life
by Kat Falls
Earthquakes shattered the continents, toppling entire regions into the rising water. Now, humans live packed into stack cities. The only ones with any space of their own are those who live on the ocean floor, the Dark Life.

Ty has spent his whole life living deep undersea, helping his family farm the ocean floor. But when outlaws attack his homestead, Ty finds himself in a fight to save the only home he has ever known. Joined by Gemma, a girl from the Topside who has come subsea to look for her brother, Ty ventures into the frontier's rough underworld and discovers some dark secrets to Dark Life...secrets that threaten to destroy everything.

This book was a good undersea dystopian. I'm on a bit of a dystopia kick lately. I flew through the last half of the book, but it never really caught me. I enjoyed the characters and I really loved the setting, but the writing and the voice never captured me. I did like that the writing used a lot of "local" things like when Ty refers to something as being "anemone pink."

I really liked Ty's character. I wish there'd been more about his past and his relationship with his parents in the book, though. I feel like he could be rounder than he was. Gemma was a decent female character and I loved Ty's sister, Zoe. Shade was an excellent villain. He was probably my favorite character after Zoe.

Overall: 6.5/10 Good book, but the voice just wasn't me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before