Five Reasons Why I Love George R. R. Martin

This post begins with a confession: I'm late to the Game of Thrones party. I just finished A Clash of Kings last week and now I'm starting A Storm of Swords. I'm hoping to be completely caught up on the series this year, but they're thick books and, even more daunting than that, emotionally taxing.

Despite that, I am in love with the series and Martin. He's a truly brilliant writer and I think one of the reasons why I don't rush through the series is because I want to take it slow and savor every minute of it. And here are five reasons why.

1. The characters
Martin marvels me with his ability to introduce a character and then make me feel like I know them personally in just a page or two. My emotions run the whole gamut when it comes to his characters: love, hate, pity, trust, distrust, fury, sorrow, and sometimes confusion. I confess that there are characters that I don't know how to feel about them. There are characters that I love to death, but don't trust at all. There are characters that I would like to see taken by Others.

2. The writing
It's absolutely beautiful and perfect. Each book is a very long one, but they don't feel like it at all. I could curl up with these books for hours (and indeed I have) without stirring. 

3. The changing points of view
Martin's ability to have many points of view (and different ones in every book) but have each of them feel so unique that it's almost impossible to get them confused is another marvel. When a character has been gone for a while and then they show up with their own chapter again, it's like greeting a long-lost friend.

4. The world
Every bit of the Seven Kingdoms feels real. I can feel the different cultures and the ways that they mix together. I'm fascinated with everything beyond the Wall. It always amazes me the way the different areas have their own complete culture and the little glimpses of this that we get through the books.

5. The plot
The changing points of view comes back into play here. There's so much going on in the book with everyone and so many plot lines moving simultaneously. Not once, however, do any of them get confusing or snagged. They all just flow together in a beautiful masterpiece.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before