RTW -- Read Through Chapter Four by Tuesday...

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic:
What's your favorite book that you had to read for class?

I have a confession to make: Despite my wild love of reading, I struggled through school to finish assigned books. I hated the discussion questions and the fact that we couldn't read at our own pace. The list of classics that I didn't finish in high school is longer than the list of books that I did.

However, there were a few classics that I remember loving. My favorite was To Kill a Mockingbird by Lee Harper. I read it my senior year and loved every bit of it. I loved the story and the writing and the social relevancy. It's still one of my favorite classics and I really want to buy a copy so that I can read it again.

Going back to middle school, my favorite was The Giver by Lois Lowry. I remember hating how we were only supposed to read a certain number of chapters a day and not a chapter more (not that I ever listened). I remember biting my lip so I wouldn't cry towards the end. As soon as we finished, I hunted down the next two books in the series and devoured those too. I'm so excited for Son coming out this October!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I really missed out on To Kill A Mockingbird. :( The top set in English got to read it but no-one else could.

I'm sure we could have read it instead of the insane amount of Shakespeare we were forced to read every year.
kirstenlopresti said…
I loved To Kill A Mockingbird! Lots of people are mentioning this one.
Anonymous said…
To Kill a Mockingbird is perfection.
SF said…
Am I to gather from that that Lowry is coming out with another book? Cool!
Colin Smith said…
Both TKaM and THE GIVER are great books. I didn't know THE GIVER was the first in a series, and was surprised when I found out. THE GIVER seemed to end quite satisfactorily. Makes me intrigued to see how she continues the story.

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before