RTW: Unfortunate similarities

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This week's topic:
What SNI were you psyched to work on, but discovered it was too close to something already done?

I started one novel awhile ago with the working title of Guardian. It revolved around the idea of a school where teenagers were trained to become either Guardians or Fighters. I got the idea before I got sick of the large number of YA novels dealing with paranormal and fantasy schools.

My first novel was finished two weeks before I found out about a startlingly similar movie, Push. I've rewritten the novel enough times that now only parts of the concept match, but it's still trunked for various reasons.

I also had an idea revolving around a city of thieves. It started partly as a short story from a prompt and partly as a story to cheer up a friend. I wanted to turn it into a novel but decided not to because of my love for The Thief Lord.

Comments

LM Preston said…
That's a hard call. Especially when most all stories have been writing in over 1million different ways. Not to mention readers tend to like book with similar qualities believe it or not and that spurns what we call 'trends'

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before