RTW: Knock it Out of the Park

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic: 
In honor of the end of the Olympics, share your favorite sports book!

I'm going to start this post with a confession: Sports books are rare on my shelves. When I first saw the topic, I honestly couldn't think of a single one that didn't involve horses. I've read books with sports in them, but never books where the sports were a central element (excluding books with horse racing). 

Now, I like sports to a point. During hockey season, I'll be walking around listening to the games and wearing my mom's Shanahan or Yzerman jersey. If you stood within five feet of me while I watched the Preakness, you'd probably be deaf now.

When it comes to books, there are some sports books that are on my list. I just haven't gotten to them yet. So I went through my shelves and found...

A Horse Called Wonder by Joanna Campbell. This book is about a young girl who swears she'll never become involved with a horse again after a disease wipes out her family's Thoroughbred breeding operation. Then her parents become the breeding managers at Townsend Acres and Ashleigh falls in love with a sickly filly that no one believes will make it. 

I've read a good portion of this series (though never in order) and this one is by far my favorite. It's a really sweet story that I read countless times throughout my childhood.

The Black Stallion by Walter Farley. This book is about the struggle for survival by a young boy and a wild Arabian stallion that shipwreck on the same deserted island. It's a classic and another book that I read countless times when I was a kid. It's hard not to be enchanted by the wild beauty of the Black.

Comments

Sara Biren said…
1. Steve Yzerman is my favorite hockey player. Ever. Easily. Hands Down. Hands Up. Way Up. No question. Best. Ever.

2. Jennifer Echols, coincidentally, has a recent book with a horse racing element - LOVE STORY.

3. You can watch the Spice Girls reunion HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um1jAnwic8g

:)
I read a few horse books in my youth and showed a few horses (western style). My sister did more of both.
Unknown said…
There was a lot of squealing for joy going on at our gathering when the Spice Girls came out. Not saying it was me, but there was happiness for sure.
Alison Miller said…
I have read a few horse books, but I don't think anything will come close to Scorpio Races. LOVE
Nickie said…
This is where I confess I never liked horses. They scare me. I watched 'Gone with the Wind' -- TWO people die falling off horses! No thank you, lol.

But I can appreciate a good horse story. I just usually replace every instance of 'horse' with 'dog' in my head to make it less scary.

I'm a new follower via GFC -- my blog is nickieanderson.blogspot.com
Colin Smith said…
Wow, I've actually heard of THE BLACK STALLION! I didn't think I would recognize any of the books suggested by this week's topic. I've not read BLACK BEAUTY, but would that one count too?

Popular posts from this blog

Week in Short

Hamilton

To All the Bookstores I've Loved Before